Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Taquitos a la Homemade: Easier Than You Think

Or maybe you already know. Or maybe you have thought about it and even though you've never actually done it, you think it would be the easiest thing in the world to make homemade taquitos. Or you're like me and think everything in the frozen section seems like you need to be some master chef to create it yourself.

As a bachelorette I routinely bought frozen Taquitos but knew the inevitable moment where it felt like I was chewing on a finger would soon be upon me. Growing older and arguably wiser, why would I want to put stuff in my body when I have no idea what it's made of?

But - mind you - Taquitos were never some integral part of my personal food pyramid. Yeah, they were good and easy but they weren't vital to my survival. When I recently found this recipe in Parenting magazine, though, it did become an integral part of my survival. Listed as an idea to use leftovers, this is a genius way to use leftover chicken, especially a whole bird (sidebar: I used the leftovers from making Glamour Magazine's famous Engagement Chicken. It's supposed to have instant proposal results but as an already married woman, it was just a really good tasting chicken.)

2 Cups shredded cooked chicken
1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
 1/4 tsp garlic powder
12 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
Corn tortillas

I also love this meal because there is minimal clean-up. Per the recipe instruction, I combine the chicken, cheese, and seasonings in a bowl. The recipe also instructs to heat the tortillas between two damp paper towels in the microwave for 20 seconds. I do 25. I'm such a rebel.

I spoon the chicken mixture on the warm tortilla, roll it up, and place seam-side down on an un-greased cookie sheet. When all are done, I spray them with cooking spray. I like the EVOO kind, natch. The recipe says to bake them at 400-degrees for 25 minutes, or until brown; but for my whack-a-do oven, this translates to 350-degrees for 20 minutes.


I'm getting better at this cooking thing. But, believe me, if I can do it, you can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment